Workout 04: Shoulders
1. Y Raises
- Stand upright, feet shoulder-width apart.
- With a slight bend in your elbows, raise your arms upward and out to the sides, making a “Y” formation until elbows are aligned with each ear. Contract shoulder muscles.
- Lower arms, maintaining control to complete one rep.
2. Towel Snatch
- While holding a towel or t-shirt, get into a squat position with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the towel out in front of your body with your arms fully extended in front of you.
- Spread your arms as if you are attempting to rip the towel in half.
- While maintaining the squeeze of trying to rip the towel and keeping your arms straight, raise the towel up above your head and then lower it back down to the starting position.
3. Doorframe Hold
- Stand in a doorway, facing the doorjamb, feet hip-width apart. Bend one elbow at 90°, make a fist, and place your fist on the wall.
- Press into the wall as if you were attempting to push through the wall and into your abdomen. Your shoulder should be engaged, but you shouldn’t move your shoulder at any point during this movement.
- Hold for a count of 5 and release. Repeat on the other arm to complete one rep.
4. Pike Push Up
- Position your body as though you were going to perform a plank, with your body forming a straight line from head, hips, and heels.
- Engage your core and begin to lift your hips toward the ceiling. At the same time, walk your hands towards your feet.
- Once your torso is nearly perpendicular to the ground, position your hands wider than your shoulders. Shift your weight to your hands and move your feet so you are on your toes.
- Gaze toward your toes to keep your head neutral and begin to bend your elbows, lowering your head toward the floor.
- Once you’ve lowered as far as you can, push yourself back up to complete one rep.
5. Arm Scissors
- Stand upright with feet shoulder-width apart and a slight bend in the knees.
- Stretch your arms out to your sides, parallel with the ground.
- Engage your core and cross your arms over one another in front of your body.
- Quickly bring them back to starting position.
- Do the same, but alternating which arm crosses over the other. This completes one rep.
6. Reverse Push Up
- Position yourself as though you're about to perform a traditional push up, arms extended and positioned slightly more than shoulder-width apart.
- Bend your elbows and lower yourself until your chest is nearly touching the floor. Pause for the count of two.
- Bend at the knees, push your buttocks toward your ankles, pressing down on your hands, until your knees are at a 90° angle (possibly more, if you have long legs!)
- Pause for a second, then slide your entire body forward until you are back in traditional push up position. This is one rep.
7. Side Plank + Twist
- Position yourself in a side plank, left shoulder over left elbow and body in a strong, straight line.
- Reach the fingertips of your right hand toward the ceiling.
- Engage your core and turn your torso forward. Bring your right hand down and position it between your torso and the floor, as though you were trying to twist and reach the rest of the room behind you.
- Slowly rotate back to starting position. Repeat on the other side to complete one rep.