Workout 13: Triceps & Shoulders
1. Bodyweight Dips
- Sit on a bench or sturdy surface (e.g. chair, box, ottoman, etc.) or simply, position yourself on the floor. Place your hands on either side of you, shoulder-width apart, fingertips curled over the edge of the furniture or palms flat on the floor, fingertips pointing toward toes.
- Slide your buttocks off of the edge. Your legs should be straight out in front of you and your back should be close to the furniture.
- Straighten your arms, but maintain a slight bend in your elbows.
- Lower your body toward the ground by slowly bending your elbows.
- Once they have formed a 90° angle, contract your tricep muscles, press the heels of your hands into the furniture and lift your body back up. This is one full rep.
2. Flexing Overhead Tricep Extension
- Stand upright with feet positioned about shoulder-width apart.
- Extend your arms behind your head, elbows pointing toward the sky.
- Clench your fists, as though you're trying to drive your fingers through your fist, and engage your tricep muscles. Slowly bring your forearm up until your arms are straight in the air.
- Lower back down to starting position to complete one rep.
3. Diamond Push Up
- Start by lying on the floor face down with your hands closer than shoulder-width apart. Hold your torso up at arm’s length.
- Lower yourself until your chest almost touches the floor.
- Using your triceps, press your upper body back up and squeeze your chest.
*Note: This can be done on the knees instead of toes.
4. Bodyweight Skull Crusher
- Position yourself on your hands and knees, hands positioned slightly less than shoulder-width. Lower yourself down so that your elbows rest on the floor, positioned beneath your body, palms facing down.
- Lean forward. Your bodyweight should be supported by your elbows.
- Exhale. Extend your elbows and push your body off of the floor. Contract your tricep muscles.
- Inhale. Flex your elbows and lower your body to the starting position to complete one rep.
1. Pike Push Up
- Position your body as though you were going to perform a plank, with your body forming a straight line from head, hips, and heels.
- Engage your core and begin to lift your hips toward the ceiling. At the same time, walk your hands towards your feet.
- Once your torso is nearly perpendicular to the ground, position your hands wider than your shoulders. Shift your weight to your hands and move your feet so you are on your toes.
- Gaze toward your toes to keep your head neutral and begin to bend your elbows, lowering your head toward the floor.
- Once you’ve lowered as far as you can, push yourself back up to complete one rep.
2. Y Raises
- Stand upright, feet shoulder-width apart.
- With a slight bend in your elbows, raise your arms upward and out to the sides, making a “Y” formation until elbows are aligned with each ear. Contract shoulder muscles.
- Lower arms, maintaining control to complete one rep.
3. Towel Snatch
- While holding a towel or t-shirt, get into a squat position with your feet wider than shoulder-width apart.
- Hold the towel out in front of your body with your arms fully extended in front of you.
- Spread your arms as if you are attempting to rip the towel in half.
- While maintaining the squeeze of trying to rip the towel and keeping your arms straight, raise the towel up above your head and then lower it back down to the starting position.
4. Side Plank + Twist
- Position yourself in a side plank, left shoulder over left elbow and body in a strong, straight line.
- Reach the fingertips of your right hand toward the ceiling.
- Engage your core and turn your torso forward. Bring your right hand down and position it between your torso and the floor, as though you were trying to twist and reach the rest of the room behind you.
- Slowly rotate back to starting position. Repeat on the other side to complete one rep.